Monday, March 21, 2011

Biting off more than I can chew

I woke up Saturday morning feeling pretty decent all things considered. I went for a quick jog around the neighborhood and the legs actually felt fine, a little sore but seemingly nothing untoward. I headed off to the race and got a good warm up in. My legs even felt like they had a bit of ping in them as I was doing my strides! I lined up for the race and had a quick check on who was there. John C who was going to crush it and Nick F who I expected would try and hang with John were going to be the first two out of the gate and I was going to stay out of that! Then there was Brian on his ‘home course’ and the ever competitive Aaron who I thought would form the second group and I fancied I could probably hang with these guys. Other than that it was the usual faces.

Sure enough Nick and John shot out of the gate on their way to a 9:38 split for the first two miles! Aaron and Brian followed and I hung back about ten yards behind just feeling myself into the race. By the end of the race I had worked myself into third place with a good solid race behind a fading Nick and a dominant John. 21:19 and happy with that in the circumstances. I warmed down with John and Aaron and a few others and the calves were sore but manageable. I figured a couple of easy/rest days and I would be fine for the last push in towards Richmond. Bang, Sunday morning and I woke up with that all too familiar feeling in my right calf. I think it’s just a strain and there won’t be any long term effects but still Richmond is very much in jeopardy now.

I’m disappointed and annoyed with myself because I’m the idiot who thought he could get away with two races so soon after each other (especially with one of them being in spikes) but shit these things happen and I don’t think it was THAT crazy to race twice, after all I‘m very fit at the moment. So we’ll see what the next few days brings, I’ll keep you posted….

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be back in strong form in a couple days.