Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Speed Loop reality check!


As I mentioned briefly at the end of my last post I’m planning on racing this Friday night in a local 5k that Trysports are sponsoring. With that in mind today I decided I would do a workout which might give me some sort of idea of the pace I may be able to hold on to for 5k right now. I was going to do 2 * 1 mile (2:30 recovery) and the some quarters to finish off In the back of my mind I had 5:20 as a ball park figure to shoot for and see how it felt. However, I had managed to recruit speedsters David and Brad to help out so I knew that I would be setting out harder than originally planned! Came through the first mile in just under 5:15 feeling pretty taxed, second one was just under 5:17. I was 5-10 seconds behind the other guys and it certainly felt a harder effort than 5k pace. We walked back over to the start of the speed loop and did 4*0.25 miles up and down Dilworth Road. The first one was a little fast at 71 seconds and the other 3 were a bit of a struggle in 73,71,73- felt like I was going through the motions a bit and didn’t have the heart or capability to latch on to the back of the other guys who were running closer to 70.

All in all happy I was happy with the times but well aware that I was pretty taxed to achieve them and that I was comfortably behind David and Brad for the whole workout. No apparent trouble from the glutes or knees though and I’m looking forward to the process of getting fitter the next few weeks! Friday night will just be a another step along that path

4 comments:

  1. Hey, is that 5k the FreeMoreWest 5k on the Greenway, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Kati, it’s down in Waxhaw. I did like the look of the FreeMoreWest 5k though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, okay! The FMW runs right by my house so I was going to keep an eye out for you (and tell you to bring Lisa and the girls)! Good luck in Waxhaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just another brick in the wall. It's coming along nicely!!

    ReplyDelete