Saturday, January 30, 2010

Planning ahead

One of my biggest bug bears about fellow runners is when they make excuses for not being able to train. If you plan carefully enough and are flexible enough with your schedule then you can make it happen, no excuses. We've all got busy lives, family, work commitments, etc. but if we want to get something out of this sport we can all make little sacrifices here and there to make it happen. My buddy Tim, for example, very busy, young family, will often find himself heading out the door at 10pm to get it done. If that's not for you then don't do it, that's fine, just don't come running to me later saying you didn't have time to train. Lets face it, we do the simplest sport there is. All you need is 30 minutes and a pair of shoes and you can do it.

That being said, a little forward planning can also help in optimising your training. For example, this weekend I knew the weather here was going to be crappy so I got my 18 miler in on Friday morning. Yes I had to get up at 4.30 and yes it sucked, but you know once I was out there I got in to my groove and it was fine. 2 hours later and all I had to worry about for this weekend was squeezing a few miles on the snow when I could.

Then next week I usually do my hard workout on Tuesday or Wednesday after work, but can't next week as I have obligations to attend with Emily. So I sent a note around, rallied some troops and am planning a group track workout Monday after work instead.

I don't mean to sound all 'preachy' but it just annoys me when people make excuses when they really aren't necessary. If you don't want to do something, fair enough, but if you want it enough you'll MAKE it work.

Anyway, enough of the sermon, I'm hoping i can head out later today for some running on the snow, and then hope it clears out of here pretty quick so can get back on the mileage horse next week!

Post Script. Nathan Stanford did his 22 on the dreadmill today- now that's flexibility (and insanity, obviously)

3 comments:

  1. Hah! Thanks for the shout out Paul, although I would have much preferred the roads this morning.

    I agree with your post completely - you either get it done or you don't. No excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have time for the things we make time for!
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree!

    Many world records have been set in the marathon by guys/gals who were working full time jobs at the time. You find a way to do what is important to you.

    ReplyDelete